Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Feel the breeze?

I've been dealing with a bit of anxiety lately. Happens to the best of us. I'm standing in a fog right now. It's one of those thick fogs where the air can be cut with a knife and your skin feels wet. I can't see much more than the length of my own arm. I have a pending term date coming with my current company and the whispers from the enemy have grown louder than the truth in recent days.

Last week, I didn't take the time I needed each day to fill myself with the promises of our Father. I didn't listen to one sermon podcast until the weekend and I didn't read a single devotional. I spent my time flitting from this to that, refereeing teen bickering, and participating in my own fair share of scuffles. The anxiety grew. The tensions mounted. The sadness became heavy. There is a reason for that.

Ephesians 6:12 (New International Version)
12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Countering the enemy happens when we fill the spaces in our lives with God's promises and His Word. Speaking the promises in faith unleashes the armies of God. When we don't, we open the door for battles, fatigue. We open the door for doubt and anxiety. We open the door for inner strife which spills over into every aspect of our lives. It affects everyone we touch.

The winds of change are blowing as I stand motionless in this fog. I do not know where God is leading me. I believe I am where I am for a purpose. I believe I'm connected and reconnected with folks for a reason. I trust God will provide as He's demonstrated in the past year He is and will remain faithful. And He is never late.

I have a choice. To enjoy the breeze and the quiet time while God prepares my heart for what's next, or to fight it, to wallow around in worry and anxiety, questioning everything and trying to reason my own future. That breeze is much more peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment