Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Exhale

Not long ago, I think I mentioned in a blog that I know one of the reasons God planted me here in the south: to learn to be patient, to slow down.

Transplants like me are noticeable here because we're always in a hurry, at the gas station, at the grocery store, in the restaurants. You can see the impatience come across our faces when we are inconvenienced by a crumpled bill a cashier is struggling with, a long red light, someone sharing their life story at the next table when all we want is to order our glass of water.

I do still get impatient. Patience is a virtue, yes; but I've ignored it my entire life. I have a lot of catching up to do in order to bring this particular fruit of the spirit to maturity. And I know God wants me here, doing what I'm doing, dealing with what I'm dealt in order to allow that to fast-track in a way. Seems odd. He had to plant me some place where people "get" the time thing so I would slow down in order to get me caught up to where I should be.

God also knows I'm a procrastinator. If I could hold a degree in procrastination simply by living life, I'd have a PhD! God knew that if He left me where I was I would keep forcing life as I did and continue living impatiently and miss out on something very, very important related to truly appreciating what He's granted as well as faithfully serving Him.

I've been listening to and praying with several friends who are in different life circumstances but essentially experiencing the same thing. They are feeling undervalued, unappreciated, overlooked. They feel isolated. They are broken hearted and crying out for something to touch their lives and make it all better.

As I commented to someone today about her circumstances, I felt God reveal the following to me (and this isn't a revelation others don't see): our entire world is so full of "hurry up" that we ignorantly and unintentionally bring this type of suffering upon one another. I use the word ignorant because it means that you don't even know what you're doing. Let me explain.

In our world today, we are extremely busy people. We have long hours at work. Some have insane commutes. Once our feet grace the threshold of our office complex we're running from one meeting to the next trying to solve one problem after another. Putting out this fire, that fire. As soon as our kids get home, our office phone begins to ring with their cries for our help to fix the crises they are facing. If we happen to leave the office at our scheduled time, we are rushing home for the youths activities, homework, fast supper in some manner, squeeze in chores if we can, and start over. If we don't have kids, it can be just as hectic. Maybe we volunteer, are members of this or that, have commitments to our elderly parents or siblings. Maybe church is a major time chomper.... We are very busy.

When do we slow down and have time to give those we love our undivided attention?

Note the word "undivided". When was the last time you had a conversation with your kids and they didn't feel that you weren't interested in what they had to say because you were focused on them instead of cleaning the kitchen and shooing them out of the room? When was the last time your spouse had undivided attention and he/she knew you were hearing what they had to say and weren't distracted with the checkbook, the remote control, the computer? When was your last phone call to your parents that allowed them to say all they had to say even though your dinner got cold?

If we cannot do this with those we love, how can we do this with those we need to reach?

"Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."
~ John 13:35, NLT

I am very challenged by this verse. I am challenged to check myself. I reach out to tons of people each day in one way or another. But what about my family? Do they get my best? Or do they get what's left? How about God? When I'm listening to my podcasts or reading my devotionals, am I really dedicated at that moment? Or am I multitasking with other things and missing something relevant? Am I watching them to simply say I watched them? Or am I being still and quiet to hear the message God wants me to hear?

When I get anxious or really stressed out about something, my chest gets tight. I find that my breath is very shallow and I seem to be trying to take in more air than I'm letting out. I almost forget to exhale.

From a physiological perspective, at the basic level, the exhale is to rid our body of toxins. If we didn't do it, we'd get sick. Deep breathing is often recommended by therapists as a method to assist us in reducing anxiety. When exercising, we're told to breathe. The exhale is used during the exertion to help us push through that moment of opposition.

Will my body exhale without me consciously focusing on it? Yes. As long as that part of my brain is working. But if I slow down long enough to pay attention to my breathing, to exhale the junk, and to look around... What will I see?

Slow down in your life long enough to see what's in front of you. Slow down in your life long enough to understand who God has placed before you for you to love. There is a reason and a purpose: that person who is lonely, that person who is hurting, that person who needs a boost, that person who needs to feel loved is there because God brought them into your path...

And strangely enough, it may be because there is an area in your own life you need to heal and God is using this person to reveal that.

If you are living for God, and you are doing His will, you will not be led astray.

Live loud, love deeply, praise God in greater ways!

Be blessed, bless others.....

No comments:

Post a Comment