Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Who isn't??

I feel that God has been placing something strong upon my heart lately. I've not really collected the following thoughts in a very organized manner. Forgive me if I appear to be random and jump from one point to the next and they seem disjointed. I recall saying this not long ago to someone else.... :)

I feel like my thoughts have a theme to them. In some ways, over the past few days, in different conversations with different people, I've said the same thing. That's significant to me because it means there is a message to be shared. I may have even blogged on here about it some time ago. And if you know me well, you know this is a deeply rooted, very passionate issue for me. If you've heard it before, it's old tape, I'm sorry that I'm not bringing something new.

First, let me start with a question: Who of us in this world does not have a single scar? I'm including emotional scars here. And I don't know very many my age or older (and even those younger than me) who are totally, 100% free from any physical or emotional scar. So, I'm going to leap here to a conclusion that we all know what a scar is. And for those who want clarification on my definition, well, I can look at it a couple of ways.... Follow me.....

A scar can be shown with pride. Physical scars typically receive this kind of treatment. I have a scar below my right knee that is a constant reminder of the time I was 11 years old and spent the night with a friend. We wanted to go for a bike ride. Where she lived, and where we rode were too far for us at the time. In no way would my mother have allowed me to be that far from my friend's home without an adult. And the ENTIRE time, I knew I was going to get into trouble. My friend didn't seem to mind as "who was going to know?" Well, when a jogger was coming toward us on a bridge and I panicked thinking we were going to collide as he seemed to be oblivious to two kids riding bikes along this sidewalk as well; and I hit the "back up" method of pedal brakes - when her mom's bike had hand brakes - lost control of the bike and slammed into the aluminum guard rail, I knew my mom would know. I had a 3 inch long gash in my leg that probably should have been stitched closed. As well as blood all over a bike I wasn't supposed to be on. :)

Now, many lessons came from that. And there was a time that story was told with a "this is the time I was defiant" tone. Now, as you can guess, it's told a bit more sheepishly and as a warning, there is always someone who knows and if your momma is like my momma, she WILL find out. :)

A pride story? How about the scars on a body of someone who survived something and wouldn't be alive if it weren't for whatever it was that caused that scar? Breast cancer survivors. What about scars that remind others of God's grace and plan for their lives. Car accident survivors, burn victims?

What about emotional scars? Those who endured abuse as kids? Or those who have believed Satan's lies all of their lives, even though they had a good childhood by most standards. Maybe there was one event that changed how they viewed themselves and suddenly they were in the grasp of the enemy and listening to his whispers that they are a complete and total failure as a human being.

Ever sat there thinking about something someone did or didn't do when you were a kid? Something you missed out on? Ever sit and think about the time your spouse forgot to mention something you needed to hear? Ever think about the day you realized your kids didn't cling to every word you say any more? Or that they rush in and rush out without so much as a kiss hello? Ever feel abandoned? Ever feel alone?

I won't say everyone, but I will say most of us go through this. Most of us have scars. Most of us have something from which we desperately need to heal. Some of it is as tragic as sexual abuse, physical abuse, neglect, abandonment. Maybe it's something many would call mild and less volatile such as a friend told you they didn't like your outfit, your pants, the new haircut. But it still cut you. And it still hurt. And you still questioned your worth after the comment. And you still thought twice before you wore that outfit again, or those pants. And you still look in the mirror and try to figure out how to make your hair grow faster or come up with a different way to fix it.

My point? We (in most cases) are all broken and have scars or sometimes even open wounds from careless intentional or even unintentional words and actions of people we love or don't love. Nearly everyone needs to heal from something.

My beef? There are too many churches in this world who call themselves disciples of Christ but put labels on others; categorizing them into "worthy" and "unworthy" and deciding for themselves who can enter their doors and who cannot. They will point to places within the Bible justifying their judgment. And I wonder, have they read Matthew 7:2?

For reference, Matthew 7:2 is Jesus speaking and He says:

2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

I'm sorry. But to me, this means that if I am harsh to criticize someone else who doesn't dress like me, talk like me, walk like me, like what I like, listen to the music I enjoy, watch the kind of movies I like, struggles with things I do not struggle with, makes poorer choices than I make, makes more mistakes than I make, OR who is "better than me" I will then be judged by my Father with the same critical spirit.

Hm. Well, I don't need to be judged any more harshly than I already am. Therefore, I think I'd better listen to what Jesus says here and be much more open and inclusive as to whom I deem worthy of hearing of Christ's love, no?

Jesus described His followers as the salt and the light. In Matthew 5:13-14 He said:


13"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
14"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.

Now, I can't sit here and tell you that I've read every single word of the Bible. I haven't yet. But I have read every word of the Gospel. And the majority of the New Testament. And I do not recall anywhere in there Jesus saying, "share my love with Joe, but not Mike; and Susie? She talks weird. So, leave her out. But Patty is one of my favorites, so be sure to include her."

Many know John 3:16...

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Please allow me to emphasize WHOEVER and note that my understanding is EVERYONE; all broken people.

And let me point out another portion of this chapter that is very much overlooked, John 3:17:

17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Romans 8:1:

1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus

Let me make sure I've got this..... EVERYONE is who Jesus came to save, He didn't come to condemn, but to save. And since He came, we shouldn't live condemned?

Now to the part of this line of thinking I've shared with 3 different people in the past 2 days....

Condemnation isn't of God. And conviction isn't the same as condemnation. Who wants to come to a God of Wrath? No one. The Bible, as far as I have read so far - especially the New Testament aka the New Covenant, is more about God's love than His wrath.

Ok, have a sip of coffee and lean in a bit.....

If you share God's love, if you teach about His love, if you describe His love.... He will take care of the conviction part in His time, and in His way.

God first and foremost wants a relationship with each of us. He wants us to know how much He loves us. He wants us to know the sacrifice He made to redeem us. He wants us to know He's forgiven us. He wants us to know we are co-heirs with Christ. He wants us to know He wants us for eternity. He's chosen us. He pursues us. He loves us.

When you meet someone new, and they are critical of you, and they tell you that you basically suck, do you want to be friends with them?? Not likely. But if you meet someone new and they compliment your outfit, they laugh at your jokes, they cry when you share your story and they show you compassion, I promise you that most of you will go out of your way to run into such a person. They've shown you love. You want more.

Share God's love. Leave the judging to Him. Leave the conviction to Him. As I've said before on this blog, each of us have an individual journey to find Him. He's created a hole within us that only He can fill. Relationships won't fill it. Knowledge won't fill it. Partying won't fill it. Working until you make yourself crazy won't fill it. Only God. Some will find it. Others may not. But if you are truly wanting to "save the lost" as the commission basically asks those who follow Christ to do, trust me. You are going to come closer to your goal if you show love - an all inclusive love - than wrath.

I suffer from a very judgmental nature. And I've had several things pointed out to me, just different instances where I was actively judging others. The mirror was held before me. And I prayed about it. So, what I'm asking many others to do I've had to do myself. I've had to open my arms to a bigger circle of folks. I've had to remember that each person I encounter has a soul (as Pete Wilson of Cross Point put it). I have to remember that each person I encounter is loved by the same God, in the same way, and can receive the same gifts I can receive - designed to fit them. There is NO ONE too far from the love of God. There is NO ONE He cannot change. There is NO ONE He will not change... If they let Him. And more importantly He can do a better job than any of us, and do it in such a way they will become whole and not further damaged.

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
Psalm 147:3

No comments:

Post a Comment