Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Drought

Sometimes we find ourselves in a place we don't want to be. We want to move forward. We want things to change. The mundane routine of our lives has reached a place of boring and without purpose. We're required to do something or to be somewhere and that passion is lacking. We know we have to perform or give what we no longer feel inspired to give. We're stuck in between one level of glory and the next. And we feel like nothing good is happening.

But we're wrong.

Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


Romans 8:28 (New International Version)
28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

What are we to do during these seasons of our life we no longer "feel" the presence of God and we no longer feel motivated to even live up to our current expectations? We are longing for a change and something to inspire us to action, but it just isn't there.

The answer may be different for each of us. Some of us will spend money and buy something exciting. Some of us will enter into new relationships and ride the wave of that buzz for a bit. Some of us will start new jobs. Take time off. Go on a trip. Many times we seek a new experience. And it is generally successful in providing that spark we seek - for a moment.

What I am learning is to embrace a few things in order to rejuvenate myself and help me redirect my focus.

1. When I realize I'm in a rut, I begin to first practice Psalm 46:10 -- "Be still. And know I am God." When I don't know which decision to make, when I don't know the direction I should turn, when I feel easily confused because my mind is convincingly arguing two opposing sides of a decision, I need to sit still. I need to make no decision. And I need to remember I am not in control of the universe, but simply myself. I need to become quiet and remember I serve a loving God Who will not lead me down the wrong path.

2. The second thing I need to do is rejoice.

1 Thessalonians 5:16 (Amplified Bible)
16Be happy [in your faith] and rejoice and be glad-hearted continually (always);

Philippians 4:4 (New International Version)
4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

I need to take my eyes off the dirt surrounding me (rut analogy, remember?) and focus upon the things in my life that are blessings. Sometimes, if I've allowed myself to sink deeply into mediocrity, this list might have to start with the fact that I'm breathing, which means there is still a purpose I need to meet. Quickly, if I force my mind to focus upon it, I can add family, friends, simple things like blue skies, the sun, fall colors, children's laughter, etc. The goal here is to shift my attention from what is weighing me down and to the things that will lift me up. Not only do I inventory this list, but I also consciously thank God for each item on this list.

3. Rejoicing is important and it is referenced in several verses in the Bible. But the following verse in 1 Thessalonians chapter 5 is extremely important as well.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 (New Living Translation)
17 Never stop praying.

Depending upon my level in the rut, I may pray for a light so that I may see the intended path. I may pray for grace to overcome some judgmental attitude, resentment, anger, or unforgiveness. I may pray for direction. I may pray for supportive people to emerge. I may pray for forgiveness for myself. At the very least, I enter into a conversation with my Heavenly Father about my condition.

4. I have faith. I believe that through these steps and by petitioning in prayer asking God to fight my battles for me, that God is doing what He says He will do. I trust that He will fulfill His promises. I know that He has my best interest in mind. And I accept that whatever He may bring to pass may not be what I've asked Him for, nor what I want. But I know it will be for my benefit.

Hebrews 11:1 (New Living Translation)
1 Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.

5. Finally, and sometimes even more difficult than the four preceding steps: obedience. The absolute best example of obedience to the Father against the fleshly will is when Christ prayed to God asking Him for another way to fulfill His will. But He committed to do what the Father asked of Him regardless.

Luke 22:42 (King James Version)
42Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

I have a strong internal desire to be obedient. And it strengthens the more time I spend with God. I want to glorify and honor Him. I want to extend the grace, mercy, hope and love I've been given without earning it and certainly undeserved.

But often, I can feel that deep, internal tug in my gut advising me to keep my mouth closed, or alternately, to speak; to act in some manner that seems completely ridiculous. And I do exactly the opposite of what I feel should or shouldn't act. And later realize why I should have done what I didn't do (or shouldn't have done/said what I did/said.)I may see an intersection of life that I blew by and later realize down the road I didn't want to take is a blessing I missed.

On the flip side of this, when I am obedient, I see those red lights and the wrecks that were avoided. I see the protection and the provision. And I feel humbled and grateful.

Are you in a rut? Are you living a mediocre life and tired of the mundane? Do you find yourself day dreaming of the "perfect" life?

Try this process. Give it a sincere try. Open your heart and mind to it. Be willing to be silent with God. Be willing to give decisions some time rather than being impulsive. Don't go to the other extreme and never make decisions. But be willing to test it against the direction of God.

Expand your relationship with the Father beyond asking Him for healing when a loved one is ill; or asking for protection during days of traveling.

Ask Him what He wants you to change to spring you from mediocrity into excellence. Is it priorities? Is He first in your life? Is it a bitter heart? A mouth spewing lies, gossip or hatred? Maybe you never speak the things you really think, but inside you feel resentment. Perhaps you aren't even judging others harshly because you're too busy judging yourself and you are filled with remorse and guilt; and maybe these two emotions have you paralyzed from believing you have the option to move forward.

None of us are perfect. We all sin in some manner. We're not here to judge one another's relationship with the Father. We're simply here to begin our own and allow Him to change within us what He wills so that He can bless us in His perfect way.

Fall at the feet of the cross. Rest in the arms of your Father. Open His Word and learn of His love and the promises He gives you for taking care of you. And dare to believe it. Then look around and I'd bet you're no longer looking at dirt. I bet you'll be out of your rut.

Be in peace my friends!
Jeani

No comments:

Post a Comment