Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Don't Suffer

In the past week or so I've had a couple of people mention they are worried about me with the job situation and such. And while I absolutely welcome any and all support I want to challenge everyone who loves me, heck, everyone who loves someone else.... Don't.

Don't worry about me. Don't worry about your loved one. Don't worry about yourself.

Pray.

Rejoice! Find the things in life that ARE working. Look at life and praise God for the beauty you can enjoy. Thank God that He has a plan, that He will turn things around, that He will meet all needs, that He will protect His children, that He will strengthen each of us to endure the trials and that He provides for us joy!

Listen, I know this is tough. I've been in the rut recently myself. I've been slowly drifting back to that place where I only see what I cannot change and what I wish would change. Who ever looks at a job and says, "I wish I was unemployed. I wish my income was reduced. I will be glad when the bills don't change but the money coming in does." Who wishes for that??

But here's the reality, there will be things in our lives for which we can plan accordingly. And there will be things in our lives that will surprise us and have the potential to knock us off our feet.

1 Peter 4:12 (New International Version)
12Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.

Peter let all of us know we shouldn't be surprised when trouble comes our way. He was reminding us what Jesus said.

John 16:33 (New International Version)
33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

"In this world you will have trouble."

There isn't much wiggle room with that statement. Christ said we will face trouble. But let us also remember Job. He faced tremendous suffering and tragedy. And nothing that was brought upon him by the enemy was permitted to take his life. God allowed Satan to test Job's resolve. But not to destroy him entirely.

Sometimes the trouble we're facing is a result of sowing bad seed. That is true. We do have consequences for our actions. If we live financially irresponsible, eventually that will catch up to us. If we decide to overdo the party life in our teens and twenties, in our forties and fifties, we'll feel it. Contact sports in college? You'll know about it when you're 40!

But many times, our troubles are a test of our resolve and our faith. Many times it is an opportunity for God to use something that was meant for our harm to show His faithfulness, to show His love, to reveal His glory. He may use it to prove to the enemy that we are faithful, that we do believe in His provision and ability to work out our difficulties and elevate us above our troubles. And an opportunity for us to demonstrate our trust in Him.

Philippians 4:11-12 (New International Version)
11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Philippians 3:12-14 (New International Version)
12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7 (New International Version)
4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Hebrews 12:28-29 (New International Version)
28Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, 29for our "God is a consuming fire."

Colossians 3:2 (New International Version)
2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.

Romans 8:28 (New International Version)
28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Isaiah 54:17 (New International Version)
17 no weapon forged against you will prevail,and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,and this is their vindication from me," declares the LORD.

No matter what adversity you are facing: health, relationships, finances, temptations, etc. remember the promises. Remember to find the blessings. Remember you control the obsessions of your mind. You control your thoughts and where they go. Force them to go against the negative things, the reasons for your suffering, the tragedies you're facing, the losses you've had.

Force your thoughts to focus on life. Focus on the blessings. Remember, someone in the world is in a worse position than you are. Someone doesn't have a home, a car, a job, food, medicine, love, hope, joy. Someone doesn't know Jesus Christ. Someone doesn't see a way out of their hopeless situation. Someone needs to see God's light shining through your life. Someone needs their faith restored. Someone needs to see God working through your life to be encouraged their own situation can turn around. Someone needs to hear how God is providing for you in order to believe He will provide for them, too. Someone needs to see His restoration in your hope, your faith, your dreams so they can believe.

I'm not perfect at this. I can become discouraged, too. I can shift my thoughts to what is missing or what isn't the way I wish it to be. I can listen to the enemy's lies and become full of anxiety and stress and worry. I can shift my eyes from my Father to the problem. I can fall into the trap of trying to figure it out in my strength rather than recognizing I need God's grace to get through and to get out of His way and let Him work in His timing and with His method.

Let me tell you, I've seen Him work in the lives of others. And I've listened to their testimonies about how He has given them the grace to stay in peace and joy even amidst the storm. I was hesitant. I thought to myself, "But they've never felt _______." And I was wrong. The emotion of hopelessness is the same at it's very core regardless of what caused it. The circumstances causing it may be very, very different. The experiences may be very different indeed. But the feeling itself of being overwhelmed and without hope is the same.

And so is the answer.

I'm in the process of practicing what has been preached and even what I myself have shared. I'm in the process of taking the head knowledge of the promises and engraving them upon my heart. I'm in the process of walking the talk.

Hear what I'm saying to you, it's working. I am finding myself facing a tremendous unknown. The potential is there to be consumed with anxiety, worry and stress. The potential is there to allow these three things to destroy my physical and mental health. But I'm not allowing it.

Do I have moments? Sure! I'm human! I have moments of doubt. I have moments when I question things and I look at things with that shifty look of disbelief. But if I shake my head once or twice and speak aloud the promises of my Creator, I change my thoughts. I change my focus. And I remember to give it back to the One in control. I look around me and appreciate what I do have and I pray for those who are lacking. I remind myself of all of the ways God has showed up in just the past year, let alone the past 37, and I'm overcome with humility and disbelief about why He would continue to be faithful.

But even that is for another time.

Stay in your blessings. Stay in faith. Keep your hope alive. Immerse yourself in His grace. Bask in His light. Believe what He tells you. Trust Him. And embrace the joy and peace that comes with it.

Stand strong my friends! Redemption is just around the corner!

Live blessed!

Jeani

No comments:

Post a Comment