Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Value, Worth, Purpose

We don't have to look very hard in our society to see what we value. At least, what society wants us to value. Money. Possessions. Beauty. Status.

I always find it interesting when one of the Pastors I follow begins a sermon series about something I've been pondering. I get a sense my thoughts are in line with a bigger message and perhaps the sermon series is to help me find some clarity or ask more questions and dig a bit deeper within myself. One such series just began with Crosspoint here in Nashville titled "Empty Promises". The foundation for the series was set last Sunday and I don't intend to summarize the message, however, if I do reference an idea Pastor Pete presented, I will note it as such.

I was standing in line at the gas station the other day and I found myself looking at the cover of the magazines by the cashier. All of the covers were plastered with photos of people we've decided are beautiful. We've based this decision upon their physical looks, the clothes they wear, the make-up they use. We've decided to place importance upon a specific size for women, and bulging muscles for men. Most of the cover models had similar hair styles or colors, dressed a similar way - from the Country magazines to the Rock magazines. We're being handed via these media presentations an image and told if we do not resemble these particular folks, then we are not beautiful.

Fortune magazine focuses on the size of a bank account or the number listed in the assets column on the books to determine who is top dog, so-to-speak.

Other magazines will communicate through their imagery that if you are fully dressed you can't possibly be sexy.

In some circles, we'll interpret the message given directing that if we don't own our home, have 3 cars, own a boat, have a vacation home or a time share, travel here or there, etc. we can't be happy and we're certainly not successful.

We're convinced we cannot enjoy a sporting event or some other celebration without being in an altered state as a result of substances; ignoring the problems that come with this.

So, the "rest of us" who aren't gracing magazine covers or partying with sports stars, we embrace these so-called truths and we chase them. We make it our life mission to attain material possessions at whatever cost. Working one job 70 hours a week; or maybe even working two jobs 80 hours a week. We decide that this time away from actually spending time with our families, with our parents, children, grandparents, friends... This time we are making the big bucks is more important and that once we have our vacation home, we will invite our family and friends for a little siesta and make up for lost time.

I've known many who do this, and I will be completely honest and confess to you, I've done it. I've chased the people, the jobs, the items that I thought would bring me happiness.

Allow me to zero in on a statement I made: Lost time.

The reality is this: If you are reading this, today you woke up. If you are reading this, God granted you a gift of today. He's not promised you tomorrow. The way you spend the time given today is the only time you're guaranteed.

This thought leads me to several questions I want to share with you, embracing the reality of time.

Who or what am I focused on more than anything else to bring me happiness?

Who or what am I expecting to own my happiness?

What makes my world go round? What is the source of my sunshine in life?

Romans 12:12 (Contemporary English Version)
12Let your hope make you glad. Be patient in time of trouble and never stop praying.

Philippians 3:7-9 (Contemporary English Version)
7But Christ has shown me that what I once thought was valuable is worthless. 8Nothing is as wonderful as knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have given up everything else and count it all as garbage. All I want is Christ 9and to know that I belong to him. I could not make myself acceptable to God by obeying the Law of Moses. God accepted me simply because of my faith in Christ.

Romans 15:13 (Contemporary English Version)
13I pray that God, who gives hope, will bless you with complete happiness and peace because of your faith. And may the power of the Holy Spirit fill you with hope.

What if I considered the instruction and example from just these three verses? Trust me, there are more that reference an ability to be content with all things regardless of trials or triumphs need or abundance. But even in just these three verses there is a solution to unhappiness.

The sunshine of your life.... Is it money? Is it fame? Is it approval of friends or family? Is it your spouse, partner, girlfriend, boyfriend? Is it your children? Is it material items? Is it the number of hours you spend in church?

Or is it Jesus Christ? Is it a relationship with God through His Son?

Which do you think is more sustainable? More reliable? More dependable? More energizing? More fulfilling?

Which do you want to pursue?

No comments:

Post a Comment