Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sometimes We Cry

When I was a kid, I was really, really -- and I do mean REALLY -- opposed to crying. I tried to control it. I tried to control the fear. I tried to control emotional pain. And I decided that when those emotions tried to surface, they should be replaced with anger. The result? If I was crying, especially if there was an audience, it was only because the anger had boiled my insides to the point I could no longer suppress the tears. And if I had an exit route, you'd better believe I would be alone quickly.

As I've become an adult, I've realized there is something to be said about compassion. I had it when I was a kid. But I didn't want to show it. I didn't want to be vulnerable in front of others. So, I would extend a word here or there, offer a hug or pat on the back, but my most common weapon against sadness was humor. I remember being 3 years old seeing my mother sitting across the table from me crying and thinking to myself, "Be cute. Make her laugh."

But sometimes, you just need to cry.

John 11:33-35 (New International Version)
33When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. 34"Where have you laid him?" he asked.
"Come and see, Lord," they replied.

35Jesus wept.

This section of scripture refers to the compassion Jesus felt toward the family of Lazarus, a man who'd been a friend to Him who had been sick and died several days before His arrival. The family believed that Jesus could heal their sick brother. But Christ knew He was to raise Lazarus from the dead to honor and glorify God and so the Jews would see He really was the Son of God. He knew this pain and suffering they experienced was temporary. He knew in mere moments their heavy hearts would be freed of the grief and overwhelmed with joy as they would have Lazarus back. But their pain affected Him. And He wept.

There is no shame in displaying or demonstrating compassion. There is nothing wrong with being moved to tears of joy or tears of sadness for our friends and loved ones.

And sometimes we just need to let others know we care.

Sometimes, we cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment