Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lifelines - Verses I Reference Daily

Hello everyone! Well, I've been meaning to put this together for some time. Over the course of about two years, I began compiling a list of Bible verses I regularly reference to remind me of the promises in God's Word to strengthen me through whatever trial happens to be in front of me. When I first began this list, it was simply one or two verses I repeated to myself daily. As the year of 2009 continued, I quickly embraced several others and added them to my list. And today, I've compiled the "Lifelines" list strictly from the top of my head! :)

I may not have each verse memorized verbatim, but I can tell you what each section basically tells us. They are some pretty powerful promises that bring great peace to my weary heart and mind when I find myself being consumed by day-to-day trials; and even the really big ones, too!

I want to share them with you in hopes you will also find strength in them.

Father God, I pray that whomever may have stumbled across these ramblings of mine has done so at the direction of the Holy Spirit. I pray, God, that you've led them to this list for a reason and a purpose. I pray that they will find that one verse that speaks directly to them. Even better, Lord, they'll embrace this list as a starting point for developing their own "Lifeline" with your Word. Father, I thank you for your Word. I thank you for your promises and the hope they offer. I thank you, God, that you are faithful and ever present. I thank you, Father, that you've planned a way for each of us through this broken world. That you created the way of forgiveness and redemption. That through your Son, Jesus Christ, we are saved. Thank you for your plan, God, and help us navigate. Continue your work in our hearts to lead us closer to you and closer to the person we were designed to become. In Jesus' name, Amen!

Here's the list, in no particular order. It seems to order itself depending upon what I'm facing that day. :)

James 1:2-4 (NIV) 2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

John 16:33 (NIV) 33"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Joshua 1:5 (NIV) 5"No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Joshua 1:9 (NIV) 9"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Romans 8:28 (NIV) 28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

Jeremiah 33:3 (NIV) 3"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) 11"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Matthew 7:7-8 (NIV) 7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

Matthew 5:43-48 (NIV) 43"You have heard that is was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in Heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your Heavenly Father is perfect.

Deuteronomy 31:6 (NIV) 6"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you."

Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV) 8"The LORD Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV) 8"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. 9"As the Heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Isaiah 43:1-3 (NIV) 1But now, this is what the LORD says - He who created you, O Jacob, He who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. 2When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. 3For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;"

Isaiah 33:2 (NIV) 2O LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress.

Psalm 40:1-3 (NIV) 1I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. 2He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. 3He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.

John 15:16-17 (NIV) 16"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-- fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17This is my command: Love each other."


No comments:

Post a Comment